Renne Sloan Holtzman Sakai LLP – Public Law Group® serves large and small public agencies, nonprofits/community-based organizations, and private entities throughout California. The Firm’s Public Management Group™ (PMG) supplements the expertise of the Firm’s labor lawyers with the practical experience of human resources professionals.
Our Senior Consultants plan, coordinate and direct projects for firm clients, usually in conjunction with the advice or legal representation provided by firm attorneys. Senior Consultants often provide strategic and highly sensitive analysis and recommendations to high-level officials, typically evaluating employee wage and benefits in relation to market and economic trends and recommending compensation strategies and options. Projects may include:
- Preparing PowerPoint presentations and analytic material for client communications, presentations to top decision-makers, and fact-findings and arbitrations under public sector collective bargaining laws;
- Conducting and overseeing total compensation surveys and studies;
- Preparing detailed labor costing calculations;
- Assessing local government finances with a particular focus on pensions and Other Post-Employment Benefits;
- Performing administrative and budget research and related analyses of public sector labor agreements and Memoranda of Understanding (MOUs);
- Providing testimony at hearings regarding labor issues:
- Attending bargaining sessions and providing information to the clients and labor unions to assist in the resolution of disputes.
- An MBA or MPA degree – extraordinarily qualified B.A. or B.S. candidates will be considered.
- A strong understanding of public sector labor economics, including labor costing, public employee benefit programs (CalPERS, PEMHCA), consumer prices, general workforce and labor economic data principles of compensation, and risk management.
- Advanced-level PowerPoint and Excel skills.
- Familiarity with local government benefit programs including CalPERS pension and healthcare benefits.
- A demonstrated ability to precisely organize, prioritize and schedule project activities.
- Valid California driver’s license is required.
- Must be able to lift at least 15 pounds.
This position is full time and offers full benefits. The salary range is $80,000 – $120,000 annually. To be considered, applicants must submit a resume and a cover letter describing their relevant experience and fit for this job to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
Renne Sloan Holtzman Sakai LLP, Public Law Group® provides legal advice and representation for local governments and non-profit organizations in labor, employment, government, election law, land use, and public policy matters. Under minimal supervision, the Controller will perform and direct the financial functions necessary for the daily, monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reporting required of a mid-size, multi-office law firm.
Specific Job Duties:
- Supervise an accounting staff including accounts receivable, accounts payable, general ledger, and payroll.
- Review, submit, and enter accounting entries for payroll. Work with payroll provider on partner guaranteed payments as well as retirement contribution calculations and presentation of employee benefits.
- Provide timely and comparative monthly, quarterly, calendar year-end and fiscal year-end financial statements.
- Prepare quarterly sales tax returns and annual property tax returns in a timely manner.
- Analyze and research variances found anywhere in the accounting numbers produced by the accounting staff and by your own work as Controller, such that the resulting financial output are logical, explainable, and accurate.
- Using the financial data available, perform various specialized worksheets and financial analysis.
- Monitor the work output of the accounting staff for accuracy and look for ways to improve and modernize systems as well as keep the accounting staff trained in their jobs and cross-trained in other accounting areas where necessary.
- Work closely with the Company’s outside CPAs, especially for the calendar year-end taxes.
- Suggest ways for the Company to save money and improve business operations based on the financial analysis that will be done monthly.
- Ability to work with and help maintain banking relationship and to make sure firm meets reporting and banking covenants.
- To be responsible for the Company leases, exercising options, and other property and accounting and lease payment issues.
- Work with the departmental managers to help calculate measurable productivity benchmarks and assist where needed.
- Perform special financial or accounting projects as requested.
- Work closely with the Firm Administrator on all financial and accounting staff issues.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related business degree; CPA and/or MBA preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of experience as a Controller in a hands-on capacity.
- High level of demonstrated proficiency with QuickBooks, Microsoft Excel, Time and Expense Software and financial modeling.
- Strategy, design or creative company industry experience highly desired, particularly in relation to revenue recognition concepts
- Proven ability to provide hands-on leadership and manage multiple priorities simultaneously
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent presentation, verbal, and written communication skills
- Prior public accounting desirable
Send cover letter and resume to Ernestine Tayabas-Kim, Firm Administrator at email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
Associate Attorney (2-3 years’ experience)
Renne Sloan Holtzman Sakai (Public Law Group®) is a mid-sized law firm with approximately 35 attorneys and offices in San Francisco, Berkeley, Sacramento, Aptos and Anaheim. The firm represents public entities throughout the state – including cities, counties, special districts, schools, colleges, universities, the State of California, the Judicial Council, and joint powers authorities – as well as nonprofit clients. Our practice includes labor and employment law, government law, transportation, and environmental matters. Founded in 2004, the firm is chaired by former San Francisco City Attorney Louise Renne.
We are seeking an associate with 2-3 years of legal experience to support litigators and labor lawyers in our Labor and Employment Group. Areas of practice include employment litigation, arbitration, administrative proceedings, training, and providing strategic advice to clients on labor and employment matters. The position requires excellent academic credentials and writing skills. Labor and/or employment law experience is a plus, but not required.
The firm is committed to public service, diversity, and a collaborative and positive work environment.
To apply send cover letter, references and resume with writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.