Ms. Propp joined the firm’s legal team after many years working “in house” for California public agencies. Her practice focuses on representing and advising public agencies on a wide range of governmental law issues including land use, real property, public contracts and bidding, public records requests, and open meeting law matters.
She has provided advice and training to public agency boards and commissions on the Brown Act, California Public Records Act, AB 1234 ethics, and conflicts of interest. Ms. Propp has represented elected and appointed boards and commissions including city councils, planning commissions, oversight boards, and workforce investment boards. She has also represented cities on a variety of issues including planning, community development, human resources, police, finance, public works, library, ADA compliance, annexations, and civil grand jury investigations.
Some of the matters on which Ms. Propp has provided advice and representation on include:
- Specific Plan for a 250 acre Business Commercial Park project. Representation of the public agency included environmental issues, negotiations with multiple property owners on land use and development issues, sales tax agreements, infrastructure costs, and successful defense of related environmental/CEQA and infrastructure lawsuits.
- Formation of Community Facilities Districts (Mello-Roos) ($10 million for public improvements and $80 million for public improvements and infrastructure).
- Successful dissolution of Town’s Redevelopment Agency with approvals from State Department of Finance and Santa Clara County for the LRPMP.
- Advice to and representation of Successor Agency and Oversight Board.
- Construction and lease agreements for a new Sports Park.
- Construction of new library.
- Council and Commission training on attorney-client communications, confidentiality, conflicts of interest and ethics.
- New Development Code (form based) to replace a 30 year old Planning & Zoning Code.
- Established new revenue generating franchise agreement.
- Provided advice on city’s Climate Change Element to the General Plan and on the Carbon Action Plan (CAP).
- Formed nonprofit corporations to support innovation hub (technology park) partnership with Livermore National Lab and Sandia Lab.
- Negotiated Purchase/Sale Agreement with State of California for former agricultural site for development of market rate and affordable senior housing projects.
- Enron bankruptcy mediations and settlement negotiations on behalf of City’s electric utility.
- Advice to municipal utilities (water, sewer, etc.) and a municipal electric utility engaged in generation, transmission and power trading.
- Development of a new Kaiser hospital and medical facility with heliport.
Ms. Propp also has significant municipal litigation experience in state and federal courts. She has successfully represented local governments in sensitive and complex litigation including civil rights violations, challenges to ordinances, environmental disputes, governmental torts, and other government actions before state and federal trial courts and administrative law proceedings.
Prior to joining Renne Sloan Holtzman Sakai, Ms. Propp was the Town Attorney/Redevelopment Agency General Counsel for the Town of Los Gatos from 2010 through 2013. She also served as Senior Assistant City Attorney for the City of Livermore for five years, Senior Deputy City Attorney for City of Santa Clara and Silicon Valley Power (2001-2005) and Deputy City Attorney for City of San Jose (1998-2001). She has provided representation to school districts on disciplinary hearings.
In addition to public agencies, Ms. Propp has experience in the private sector on civil litigation matters, real property, landlord-tenant, and business transactions. She worked for law firms and her own law practice in San Luis Obispo County from 1991-1998.