Mr. Yeung’s practice involves all areas of labor and employment law, with a particular emphasis on litigation. He has defended private and public sector employers in numerous lawsuits involving claims of discrimination and harassment; whistle blower retaliation; failure to provide reasonable accommodations; and wage and hour violations. He has extensive experience handling all aspects of litigation, including jury trials and appellate litigation in both the state and federal courts. Mr. Yeung has also served as lead counsel in several wage and hour class actions, in both state and federal courts.
Mr. Yeung is widely recognized for his expertise in public sector labor law. In 2004 he was appointed by the Governor as a Legal Adviser to the Public Employment Relations Board (PERB) where he advised the Board in over 100 precedential decisions. Mr. Yeung has litigated cases before PERB under almost every public sector labor relations statute, including the Dills Act (state employees), MMBA (city, county and other local employees), HEERA (higher education employees), TCEPGA (trial court employees), and TCIELRA (court interpreters). He also has significant experience seeking injunctive relief against strikes by essential employees, both before PERB and in the courts. Mr. Yeung shares his experience and knowledge of PERB matters on the “California PERB Blog” (http://www.caperb.com), the first California legal blog focused on public sector labor relations.
In addition to litigation, Mr. Yeung often serves as chief negotiator during contract negotiations. He also has extensive experience with factfinding, having served as a presenter/advocate and also as a panel member on several factfindings.
Mr. Yeung is a frequent speaker at seminars throughout California and has authored several articles and publications on labor and employment law issues, including serving as editor for the MMBA Pocket Guide published by the California Public Employees Program. He is a past Chair of the 6,000 member Labor & Employment Law Section of the State Bar of California and President of the Labor and Employment Relations Association of Northern California. Mr. Yeung is a former Chair of the Labor & Employment Law Section of the Sacramento County Bar and a former member of the City of Davis Personnel Board.
Prior to joining Renne Sloan Holtzman Sakai LLP, Mr. Yeung served as a Deputy Attorney General in the Employment Law Section of the California Department of Justice. Mr. Yeung has also served as a Legal Adviser to PERB and as a Labor Relations Counsel with the California Department of Personnel Administration.
- Labor and Employment Law Section, State Bar of California
- Chair, Executive Committee (2011-2012)
- Vice-Chair, Executive Committee (2010-2011)
- Chair, Public Sector Sub-Committee (2006-08)
- Member, Executive Committee (2005-Current)
- Labor and Employment Law Section, Sacramento County Bar Association
- Section Chair (2005-06)
- Volunteer Attorney, Employment Law Clinic, Voluntary Legal Services Program (1998-2015)
- Labor and Employment Relations Association of Northern California (LERANC)
- President (2011-Present)
- Member, Executive Committee (2008-Current)
- California Association of Workplace Investigators
- Member (2010-Current)
- City of Davis Personnel Board, Board Member (1998-2004)
- Revision Editor, “Pocket Guide to the Meyers-Milias-Brown Act” California Public Employee Relations Program (2014)
- Chapter Author, “California Public Sector Employment Law” Matthew Bender (2015)
- Author, “PERB Signals New Direction; But Will It Last?” Bender’s California Labor & Employment Law Bulletin (February, 2011)
- Author, “You Can’t Stop Love: Managing Workplace Romance,” California Labor and Employment Law Review (July 2007)
- Author, “Discovery of Confidential Peer Review Materials in Title VII Actions,” 29 U.C. Davis Law Review 167 (1995).
- Presenter, “PERB Hot Topics,” County Counsels’ Association of California Employment Law Fall 2015 Study Section Conference (Nov 2015)
- Presenter, “PERB’s 40th Year: History, Defining Decisions, and Emerging Future Issues,” California Public Employers Labor Relations Association Conference (Oct 2015)
- Presenter, “How to Win & Defend Motions for Summary Judgment in Employment Cases,” State Bar Labor and Employment Law Section Annual Public Sector Meeting (Mar 2015).
- Presenter, “What You Need to Know When You Don’t Have an HR Department,” California Special Districts Annual Convention (Oct 2014).
- Presenter, “Arbitration Advocacy Training,” American Academy of Arbitrators for University of California (July 2014)
- Presenter, “Legal Update for 2014,” International Public Management Association North Bay Chapter (June 2014).
- Presenter, “Understanding Public Employee Strike Issues in 2014 and Beyond,” State Bar Labor and Employment Law Section Annual Public Sector Meeting (Apr 2014).
- Presenter, “Effective Communication in Employment Practices,” U.C. Davis Health System (July 2013)
- Presenter, “Preparing for Factfinding and Public Impasse Hearing,” CalPELRA Labor Relations Academy (2013)